Today’s Tuesday Ten is a collection of the ten strangest things going on in the world right now. There really was an embarrassment of riches to choose from. It’s a strange world we live in:
- Hijacking of an Egyptian Air Plane overnight: while this might sound like a dastardly act of terrorism, not an oddity, the details of this episode suggest otherwise. A man with a fake suicide belt hijacked a plane on its way from Alexandria to Egypt and forced it to reroute and land in Larnaca, Cyprus. It is believed the man was trying to reunite with his estranged wife and threw a letter to her from the plane. The hijacker has been arrested and all passengers and crew are safe.
- A British man on the plane also posed with the hijacker and the subsequent photo became the cover of numerous newspapers and websites.
- Looking to invest in a little real estate? The entire town of Cal-Nev-Ari is for sale in Southern Nevada and it can be yours for a cool $8 million. It comes with an airstrip, casino, diner, motel and convenience store. Residents and fire station not for sale.
- Donald Trump’s campaign manager Corey Lewandowski has been charged with simple assault in an altercation with a former Breitbart News reporter that occurred at a campaign even on March 8. Despite security camera video (from Trump’s hotel) that shows Lewandowski grabbing Michelle Fields, pictures of the bruises on Fields’ arm and witness statements supporting Fields account, Trump insists his campaign manager is a “decent” guy and Lewandowski insists he has never met Fields. Sure.
- In other semi-Trump related weirdness, actress and activist Susan Sarandon–an ardent Bernie Sanders supporter–said she might not vote for Hillary Clinton if she wins the Democratic nomination and Trump might be a better alternative for America. I have no further comment on that.
- Due to extensive fracking, Oklahoma is now as much of an earthquake risk as California. I’ll repeat that: Oklahoma now has the same earthquake risk as California due to fracking. Until a few months ago, state officials did not acknowledge any link between the two and many state legislators continue to downplay the risk of waste water disposal wells as earthquakes become more frequent in the state.
- Illinois Senator Mark Kirk became the first GOP senator to
do his jobmeet with Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland Tuesday. Kirk urged this fellow Senate Republicans to do the same. He is facing a tough reelection bid in November from Democratic Illinois Congresswoman Tammy Duckworth, which, of course, had nothing to do with his decision to meet with Garland.
- The state of Illinois as a whole. Yes, let’s not forget that Illinois still has not set a budget for the fiscal year that began in July 2015, which is now a record. Let that sink in.
- A Saudi prince has been kidnapped by…the Saudi royal family. And this is apparently not the first time he has been kidnapped by his own relatives.
- The fact that a movie entitled Batman vs. Superman exists. Why?
Look out for World News Wednesday later. Keep your stick on the ice.